Monday, November 1, 2010

Steph Gilmore is the 4 time Women's World Champ

Steph Gilmore the current woman's world surfing champion from Australia, has claimed her 4th world title at the Rip Curl Search event in Puerto Rico. The event is her primary sponsors and there will no doubt be a huge amount of celebrating in the Island Nation tonight.

“I’m really at a loss for words right now,” Gilmore said. “Mel (Bartels) is one of the most dangerous surfers in the world and has had my number on several occasions. Even on that last wave there, I was certain she’d got the score. I was blown away when they called it out and I’m rapt right now.”
Gilmore has won four consecutive titles on the trot, which is a new world record in the sport.

“I guess I haven’t really been thinking about that,” Gilmore said. “But to hold a record that Layne (Beachley) or even Kelly (Slater) never got is pretty special. I never thought I would even win two, consecutive titles so to win four is a massive achievement for me.”

“This Title means a lot to me,” Gilmore said. “The girls on tour this year have been the best they’ve ever been and I’ve been pushed in every one of my heats. The younger girls especially have a whole new approach and they’re gaining in confidence in every surf. The future for the sport is going to be excited and I can’t wait for it. But for now, I’m going to celebrate my win. Thanks to everyone for all the support.”

I am pretty sure we will be seeing more world titles from this incredible surfer soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment