Monday, November 1, 2010

Jordy/Kelly Title Race goes into Round 3

Jordy Smith has kept his World Title hopes alive, by convincingly winning his Round 1 heat at the Rip Curl Search, WCT event, in Costa Rica. At this point he is the only person who can stop Kelly Slater from winning his tenth world title!

“You get big local support everywhere you go,” Smith said. “Whether it’s J-Bay or Huntington Beach or Puerto Rico, I think it’s great that you get that everywhere you go and it’s awesome to be on both sides of it.”

“At this point for me, it’s all about surfing for me,” Smith said. “He has to lose pretty bad for anything to change at this point so I’m just enjoying things at the moment. It’s an honor to be in the race still and I’m really enjoying Puerto Rico.”




Kelly was not going to let Jordy steal the show however and recorded a solid win of his own in Round 1. He just needs to stay ahead of Jordy in the results to secure a world record 10th World Title, which will surely see him remembered as one of the greatest athletes the world has ever seen.


“I actually felt a little jittery out there at the start,” Slater said. “I kind of found my feet towards the end and I feel a lot better now that I’m straight into Round 3. I have a really good support crew here. My girlfriend Kalani, my manager Terry and publicist Shelby are flying in. I flew Mark Cunningham over from Hawaii because he’s never seen me at a contest and I told him he had to come. I’ve seen a bunch of old friends from here and Florida and I have friends coming in from Barbados. I’m really thankful for all the support.”


Will Slater get number 10? Will Jordy pull off the upset of the century? Watch Round 3 of the Rip Curl Search to find out. All the live footage - Rip Curl Search Costa Rica Live

No comments:

Post a Comment