Thursday, November 25, 2010

Rudy Palboom Jnr Rips into Sunset - Saffer Power

Hailing from the Bluff, on the south side of Durban's harbor, The Palmboom family are an institution. Rudy Snr has long dominated in the world of heavy waves and his son has taken over the mantle. Not surprising really, when you consider their local wave is Cave Rock and they come from an area that's motto is rough and tough and from the Bluff!

Rudy Palboom Jnr Giving it to Sunset
The ASP had the following to say on the event website -

South African Rudy Palmboom, 22, claimed a whole new fan base in Hawaii today, trumping the scores in the opening round of the O’Neill World Cup of Surfing, the second stop of the annual Vans Triple Crown of Surfing.
Palmboom found perfect rhythm and placement in the double-overhead surf to close with the highest individual wave score (8.67 points out of 10) and two-wave heat total (15.34) of the men’s opening day. Sunset Beach leaned more towards playful today, as opposed to its reputation of being one of the more punishing surf spots on the planet.
“It’s pretty fun out there and a lot bigger than I thought it would be,” said Palmboom. “I got an 8.67, a nice little barrel. I lucked into a good wave straight after the siren. It’s more spread out and there’s a lot of waves coming through, which makes it a lot more fair.
“I’ve been coming to Hawai’i since I was 15, 7 years now, and this is my third Triple Crown. I do surf here quite a bit and I’ve started to enjoy this wave. I haven’t had too many heats actually, which is quite a bummer, but I’ve learned to love it.”

Check out Rudy's heat - Rudy's Sunst Heat
Lets hope Rudy and the other Saffers continue the roll!

No comments:

Post a Comment