Tuesday, March 22, 2011

We love real Beer 2011 - Beerfest in all its glory!

Even the beer loves real beer!
Ok, so I love beer, no surprises there, but what is more important, is that I love real beer. What do you mean sir, you may ask? Well, I mean real beer. Beer that is made with love and passion by those who love to drink it! Beer that is made with all-natural, organic ingredients and has an  unusually high alcohol content. In other words the beer that was on supply at the We love Real Beer Festival on Sunday.

To say I was excited about the whole thing was an understatement, and luckily I was not to be disappointed.  First off, it was not empty your bank account expensive. R30 got you in and a swanky drought glass, that I ended up forgetting there, dammit! The average price of 500ml of happiness was a very reasonable R20 and my oh my, did you have a nice range to choose from! The food on sale was amazing with a great variety of beer friendly nom nom - personal favorite was the huge and magnificent Steak Sandwich! Oh such bliss in my mouth!

Next up, the entertainment. The only band I knew were Bilderberg Motel and they played their best set in quite some time. I have to admit the sound engineer should probably be taken out and shot at dawn, but the band were good! I have no idea who else played, but I thoroughly enjoyed the music in my beered up state and remember plenty of people dancing away - to the lady who I tripped doing the worm, my most profuse apologies, but in my defense I was trollied! So well done to the organisers for having good beer music.

Before I managed to get totally wasted on beer, mead and the giant man, Rob Armstrong's, Buchu Brandy, I did manage to try most of the beer on offer. My favorites:

3) Darling Slow - Although this is quite a light beer taste wise, it was great to get you into the swing of things and I merrily glugged it down whilst in the hot Cape sun. A very good, hot day, quench your thirst beer.

2) &Union Berne - though I drink this pretty often, I cannot deny it a place in the top 3. Smooth, unfiltered Lager that simply glides down your throat. It is a simply magical beer.

1) This was not a very difficult choice as most people were throwing them back and referring to them as the infamous "Camel Toe". The winner was - Camel Thorn Red Ale. Simply delicious, Caramel overtones and enough alcohol to get a camel drunk! I must admit it took me a while to find it, because I was actually searching for the aforementioned Camel Toe. This was the beer of choice for the day and I heartily hope some of Cape Town's establishments start selling it! Those Namibians certainly seem to know how to make beer!

So a wonderful day was had by all, we all got pretty catatonically drunk and went to Caprice to cause more mayhem! Marvelous!

2 comments: