Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Kelly Slater remains the Number 1 by winning the Quik Pro

Ok, so we thought he might not even surf on tour this year, but Kelly declined that rumor and simply stormed through to win the first event of the year. Beating Taj Burrow in a super close final, you could see the anguish in Taj's body language after the final siren. On paper, Taj was the most consistent surfer in the event, with not one heat loss till the final and an average heat score of over 16 out of 20. But Kelly pretty much mind fucked him in the final - check out Kelly's stall spraying Taj in the face in the heat video!
Kelly back on top! (Photo: ASP)
 “I’m having a lot of fun,” Slater said. “It’s pretty easy. You go out and surf Snapper by yourself, it’s pretty fun. To get to surf a contest is a bonus. I’d like to thank my girlfriend and everyone at Quiksilver for throwing the event. Everyone loves this event because the waves are so fun. I don’t think I’m the only one that thought Taj was the standout of the event. At some point had to stop getting 9s and I just picked the right heat.”

“I’m excited about the tour for 2011,” Burrow said. “It was a fun event and it’s just a bummer the waves didn’t hang in there at the end. I couldn’t better a 3. Hats off to Kelly, he built a house and it worked. I’d just like to thank everyone that organized the contest, it was awesome.”

Jordy Smith (ZAF), 23, 2010 ASP World Runner-Up, surfed with style, punch and bite throughout the duration of the Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast, securing exciting last-minute victories over Joel Parkinson (AUS), 29, and Alejo Muniz (BRA), 21, to advance through to the Semifinals. However, the big South African was unable to overtake Burrow in a repeat of last season’s Final.

“It’s disappointing when everything seems to be going well and the surf doesn’t cooperate,” Smith said. “Taj (Burrow) surfed amazing though and it’s still a good start for me. I’m looking forward to the next event and I’ll just put my head down and work hard until then.”

I am now so excited for Bells, I literally have to take valium! Check out Kelly's final day below.

No comments:

Post a Comment