Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Wavegarden - Surfing made available to the masses

My eyes literally popped out of my head the first time I saw this installation on video. I immediately got on the mail to the Wavegarden guys in Spain and was thanked for my enthusiasm, but told I would have to wait with the rest of the world till the 15th February roll out and launch. So here we are and this morning I received my press release and photos, as well as links to the videos below.
Perfect waves in your back garden?
So what is the Wave Garden? Wavegarden is a man-made wave that creates ideal conditions for surfing, as well as a broadly appealing range of other wave sports. With Wavegarden you can create a surf spot anywhere in the world and surf it anytime you like.
According to Chief Engineer and Instant Co-Founder José Manuel Odriozola, “The key differences to Wavegarden from previous wave generation technologies are that the wave is customizable to suit any skill level or age, it costs much less to build and maintain, and it is vastly superior in energy efficiency than any other system available today.” Odriozola continues, “Being passionate surfers, the founders of Wavegarden wanted to share surfing with others not fortunate enough to live near natural waves. Our goal was not only to bring the joy, adventure, and fitness of surfing to people everywhere, but also to open up new opportunities for both public and private enterprise.”
Bobby Martinez "training" for the tour.
Surprisingly, even expert surfers who have typically been hard to impress by man-made waves are amazed at the quality, authenticity, and virtually unlimited length of Wavegarden’s waves.
Elite professional surfers, such as basque phenomenon Aritz Aranburu, were using Wavegarden’s test center as a sort of laboratory to sharpen up their competitive games. He says, “Wavegarden has helped me improve my technique to take on championships. This wave is a great tool for learning and perfecting your style.”

Top ranked Californian pro, Bobby Martinez, recently posted this to his followers on Twitter, "Found a goofy footer’s dream yesterday!!!!!! Let me put it like this...the window never closes!!!!!Hahaha!"

All I can say is that I cannot wait to give this a go, especially considering they are almost done with the new version that will push out a wave twice as big. I reckon this could seriously increase surfing's growth world wide. I mean, the Johannesburg inland crew can actually start surfing, though they will probably drown when they try take their Wavegarden learn't skills into an active, current infested ocean.

Check out more at - Wavegarden

I want one!



No comments:

Post a Comment