Wednesday, January 26, 2011

South African Surfing's Next Gen - Shaun Joubert

Ok, so we have the World Number 2 in surfing and there can be no doubt that sooner or later Jordy is going to be Number 1. But what comes after, in fact, who comes after? In 2010 we had three surfers finish in the top 16 of the ASP World Junior Tour. Dale Staples finished in third giving him a massive boost for his campaign on the World Tour this year with top seeding in the ASP Prime 6 stars. Tied for 16th were Shaun Joubert and Chad Du Toit.

Shaun mixes Power and Flair. (Photo: SJ)
Having watched Shaun surf for many years in and around the Southern Cape, I have always admired his surfing. Even as a Grom he wanted to put his board on a rail, a trait of old school power surfing that any potential world champion is going to need. Mixed with this is the ability to throw down new school, progressive tricks and airs - an ability that all three of these juniors have in bucket loads. These are the next generation of World Tour campaigners. They are the guys who are going to be Jordy's support act in the next few years. I caught up with Shaun Joubert to get the lowdown on our Next Gen.

Carbo Loading? (Photo: SJ)

Kai) What is the vibe in Junior surfing right now?
Shaun) The vibe is amazing. Everyone is surfing so good, really progressive. Everyone is trying to out do each other. It’s really competitive, but in a good way. I’m really glad to be a part of it.

Kai) We only have 1 surfer on the World tour this year, yet we had 3 surfers in the top 16 of the junior world tour, with a few more in the top 100. Do you think this will turn around into more SA surfers on the pro tour soon?
Shaun) Definitely. I think our surfers are good enough to be on the World Tour. It is really hard to qualify, but I believe we have what it takes to make it on to the tour.

Kai) Your self, Dale Staples and Chad Du Toit all gave the junior tour a good go in 2010. Whats the plan for 2011?
Shaun) I am hitting the WQS full time, making a real push to be on the WCT. I’m really looking forward to it, because I will be traveling with Dale, he always pushes me to be better. I can’t wait for it to all to get started!

Kai) Is the local junior tour in good shape?
Shaun) It’s not really my place and I am not in the Juniors anymore, but it would be really nice if we have more events. Like Australia has 12 events or something, that’s why they are so prepared when they hit the WQS. It’s hard though, with surfing being so small in South Africa.

Kai) The local PST tour is in a shambles. What do you think needs to be done to save the local tour and improve our surfers chances overseas?
Shaun) That’s a hard one. I really don’t know. Like I said, surfing is small in South Africa, which makes it really hard. I reckon outside sponsors - massive companies like Coca-Cola, Vodacom and those companies need to get involved.

Kai) Can Jordy win the World Title in 2o11?
Shaun) For sure. He is my pick for the 2011 World Title. He surfs so good, wow. It would be amazing for him to win. I really hope he does. Him and Dane are on another level. He would be the sickest World Champ. I hope he does, seriously.

Kai) Your favorite surf spot and why?
Shaun) Kerammas in Bali, because when there is swell it’s the best barrel, and when it’s smaller it’s the funnest wave ever. It’s a Forehander's dream.

Thanks Shaun!
You can follow Shaun on his travels on Tour here - Shaun Joubert

A sick little surf video for you to check:

No comments:

Post a Comment