Monday, November 14, 2011

Durban serves up a weekend of mayhem and Mansions with Volcom

Mansion parties are cool! Goldfish rocking the crowd! (Photo: Volcom)
You have to love being treated like a Pimp Rock Star. I have my fair share of great events and parties I attend through the year, but it is still rare to be treated like this. How was I treated?
Action Sports brand, Volcom, made me feel like the boss! I flew up for the weekend in Durban and was picked up by Jono Channing, the man running Volcom in SA, taken to an amazing dinner of Argentinean steak and beer (Where I immediately became aware of the incredibly large number of single, gorgeous women around and they were all eating steak!). Slept in an awesome B&B, taken for a morning surf in warm water (Was surrounded by calendar quality Bikini clad women), went shopping with the Volcom competition winners at the Volcom store at Gateway, where the winners had the incredibly hard task of buying R12’000 worth of quality Volcom gear and then we arrived at the Mansion…

It could be in Hawaii - really!
My room was bigger than my house - never mind the bed!
First impressions were that I had somehow been teleported to the Playboy Mansion in Hawaii. Gorgeous Promo girls running around, an old house straight out of Donald Trump’s holiday home short list, with lawn and pool area kitted out for the party and finally I was taken to my room for the night. The Room basically looked like it had been taken out of an episode of the Kardasians – Huge four-poster bed, massive bathroom, outdoor shower and of course, the jet bath under the grape vines (My only unhappy memory of this entire weekend was that none of the many gorgeous ladies at the party did ended up in the tub with me and copious amounts of Champagne – bad form Durban girls!) This Captain was thinking things could not get much better and then the party started…

Promo girls were dangerous... (Photo: Volcom)
First off, the weather in Durban decided to go haywire. I am talking high winds, the possibility of rain (Though it never did) and gloomy overcast skies. Having said this it was Durban and it was still warm. Humidity has some advantages it seems, besides causing uncontrollable sweating and rashes in the wrong places.

The skies were gloomy, the view was not. (Photo: Volcom)

The Mansion lawn was the perfect dance floor. (Photo: Volcom)
I was not sure what to expect from the Durban crowds. Would they come out in their droves, would the woman be as hot and scantily clad as their Cape Town counterparts, would I have to deal with an army of self loving cocaine addled agency types? (A regular occurrence in both CT and Jozi.) Happily the Durban crew proved to be incredibly friendly, amped on the party, had zero attitude or dripping noses, there were Mo’s all over the show and the women, shew, the women were gorgeous and very approachable.
Goldfish were having fun... (Photo: Volcom)
 A few hours later and Goldfish hit the decks, the crowd went mental, the dance moves rained down like a “Flashdance” remake and the booze flowed from the many bars on offer. Dom from Goldfish told me over dinner that he had not had that much fun at a party for a long time – I told him to down his drink as the night was yet young.
The kind of ratio Jean-Marc and I both like. (Photo: Volcom)
Choices, choices its good to have choices! (Photo: Volcom)
The girls were having a great time! (Photo: Volcom)
This was followed by a serious clubbing session in the dark back streets of Durban – though the Club, Origin, was incredible!(Jono Channing is very dangerous man late at night at the club - that was my public safety announcement!)
It's good to enjoy your own party! Jono in the swing... (Photo: Volcom)
I woke up in my massive bed with a pounding head and a mouth like a 200 year old Persian carpet. Thankfully the Mansion staff had my greasy, yet top notch breakfast ready to go and I was shortly feeling line a young Magnum PI once again. My clear head would be short lived though as I was whisked off to the Durban Botanical Gardens to watch Goldfish rock out almost a 1000 people in the rain – they really did not seem to notice it – while I Watched from under the Volcom tent and quaffed cold beers and lovely snacks. Pimp rolling really is the way to go when away for a weekend.

Found myself stuck at the airport with Goldfish waiting for our delayed flight back to Cape Town. We were all in agreement that it had been a bloody marvelous weekend in Durban.

I was incredibly impressed with Durban, the people of Durban and of course Volcom, who gave me one of the greatest weekends of the year! Well done, next time I want the Ferrari to go with the mansion. (Higgins is optional.)

Captain Kai

Jono (Volcom), Swanky (the Party Manager) and Dom from Goldfish. (Photo: Volcom)
Wanna get onto the Volcom Vibes? Follow them on FACEBOOK

No comments:

Post a Comment