Tuesday, April 26, 2011

I am Wok and I dont give a fuck!

Different things come to mind for different people when you mention Warwick "Wok" Wright. To some he is a great surfer and a man who won the ISA World Surfing Title, making him a world champion for SA. To others he is a cocky, some would say arrogant, loose as hell, party animal, who just wants to be famous. To some of us, he is just a good mate and always a good boy to have round for a laugh. Any way you look at it, the guy keeps himself in the public eye. After saying good bye to professional, competitive surfing, he has embarked on a path to celebrity, with his own blog, I am Wok, his partnership in the web exploits of the Tripod crew and now he is embarking on a mission to conquer Hollywood. I thought it was time to catch up with Wok and get the score...
Wok suits the Hollywood, I don't give a fuck look!
Kai - What was it like growing up in Durban, I understand you had a rather interesting childhood?
Wok - Durban is home, I grew up on south beach, it wasn't a good area, it was hard, kids had no money and there were drugs and all sorts of shit going on down there, I'm not saying I grew up in the ghetto and all that cry for help crap. My mom gave me everything I wanted and all my best friends today came from there, I learn't to surf there and coming from there made me street smart, which was a blessing I think.

Kai - Why surfing - how, who and why did you surf?
Wok - Living on the beach it was bound to happen,my next door neighbor surfed and took me a few times and I got hooked. I got hooked on it quick, I started when I was 6 and have surfed everyday since. Why? Because I'm good at it, hahah.

Kai - You had a good professional career in surfing, why leave it and what do you do now?
Wok - Ya I had a pretty good career, I never qualified though. I felt there were certain waves on tour that suited me and that's where I got my results, but myself and my sponsors agreed why keep fucking around and being a top 100 surfer forever... Now I surf, I party and I market myself through that. My site does really well and it benefits my sponsors more by me being around in the limelight in S.A and selling t-shirts than surfing 1 foot Brazil shit.
Never forget this guy can really surf!
Kai - What is the Tripod?
Wok - The Tripod is myself, Ricky Basnett and Daniel Redman. I don't know what else to say about us given the characteristics; We loose, we surf, we party, we sarcastic and we are 3 good friends.

Kai - If you could do anything what would it be?
Wok - I would own a club in Hollywood and I'd let everyone in besides celebrities and models!

Kai - Any plans to get married and have kids?
Wok - Right now, hell no. I love woman too much to be with just one, hahaha, and I love kids but I got a feeling I'm sterile.

Kai - You have been spending time in and around LA. What has it been like?
Wok - LA is the shit,I love it out here. The waves are not as bad as you think, there is so much to do as well. I'm looking into moving here, I feel like I'm destined to be here.

Kai - US Girls or home grown?
Wok - Woman here ,looks wise, will shit on our chicks,they are absolutely gorgeous. They look after themselves, a lot of them are rich which is always a plus, haha, but on intelligence basis our girls take the cake. I battle to hold conversation with most woman in LA. I get bored and tired of hearing about pretentious shit and there is a lot of it here.

Kai - World Champion Surfer or Hollywood Star?
Wok - Can I be Bethany Hamilton, because I guess she's both, haha. I've won a world title , I'll leave Jordy to that for now, Hollywood needs me, I can see this.

Kai - Finally, any advice for your adoring Grom fans out there?
Wok - My advice is this, if you wanna be a good surfer, then surf everyday and enjoy it, but if you wanna be a world champ you gonna gonna have to step out your comfort zone for the rest of your life and push yourself harder and harder each day. Its taken till now to realize how bad these guys want it...but if you wanna be like me, you need style, a sense of humor and good looks, hahahaa, I'm kidding!

After all is said and done, I can tell you one thing about Wok. Hang around with this guy and you will never be bored!

Check out his blog at - I am Wok and the madness at Tripod Tv

Wok can surf!


And he loves taking the piss out of his mates!!!


He rolls hard in LA!

No comments:

Post a Comment