Friday, May 20, 2011

Two Parts Tripod - Meet Ricky Basnett & Dan Redman

Dan, Ricky and Wok, the Tripod - did her breath stink?
A while ago I introduced you to Wok, who besides not giving a fuck about anything, told us he was part of a conglomerate of surf, party and mayhem, called the Tripod. So it was only a matter of time before I came around and introduced you to the other two parts of the pod. So, here we go with the official interview with Ricky Basnett and Dan Redman. Both of these gentleman were pro surfers - technically they still are, though both are off touring - they have very large opinions and love their woman and beer. None of these guys are scared of speaking their minds, often to their own detriment, but always ensuring that if you are around them, you are guaranteed to laugh your ass off. Until they turn their beady, beer infused gaze upon you that is... (Did I mention they rip?)
Dan gets a lot of air for a biggish guy!
Ricky bombed on tour, but got voted best free surfer in SA.
Kai - First off, both of you were pro surfers on tour, what happened and
what are you doing now?
Dan - I was not good enough. Got tired of all the traveling and no reward. Was a reward in the beginning going to all the places for the first time and stuff but after a good 7 years or so my time was up. Now I just get to do the photo trips I want and been studying a bit. The latter is a ball ache. 

Ricky - I decided that the tour wasn't good   enough for me, I was just winning way too many heats. Nowadays I roam around just being really ridiculously good looking.

Kai - What is the Tri-Pod? Besides whats between your legs of course...
Dan - Three mates. Two are weak excuses for mates but the one is a genuinely good bloke.

Ricky - The tripod could be your worst nightmare, if you happen to bump into them at a jol,they could irritate the hell out of you with the amount of bullshit they speak.

Kai - The third member is Wok, who I did a candid interview with a while ago, do you guys really like him?
Dan - Wok who?

Ricky - Fuck Wok. He is very close to being kicked out the tripod... think he really needs to pull up his socks. Actually I hate him. I'm pretty sure Dan feels the same way as well.

Kai - What would you say your short term goals are for the next year or so?
Dan - I would love to get asked a few questions for www.captainkaisworld.com. Then I am MTV made! (Kai - Dreams do come true Dan!)

Ricky - I'm just concentrating on growing my hair at the moment. it's looking pretty amazing! 


Yes, these 3 are our Springbok surfing representatives.
Kai - Contests or free surfing?
Dan - I enjoyed the “beating people” part of contests but that doesn't happen to often. Free surfing just makes me feel free for who I want to be. And stuff. 

Ricky - Free contests! (Kai - I hear ya.)

Kai - How do you pay the bills?
Dan - I’m lucky enough not to be able to afford bills. 

Ricky - During the day I work behind the counter at Checkers (Grocery Store for the Yanks), night time is reserved for selling my body on the streets. (Kai - Ricky lives in the Bluff, that'pretty core!)
Dan airs on the cover. mmmh then...
Ricky Airs the cover. Similar?
Kai - Where is the future of surfing going to be?
Dan - In Dane Reynold’s pants. What ever he says, goes. And what ever futuristic kid comes after him. And what ever Jordy says as well.
Ricky -
It's gonna go retro. Guys are going to focus way more on the basics, a good bottom turn or cutback is what guys will be looking for.

Kai - What are your thoughts on the massive surge and growth in female surfing?
Dan - I personally would pull out of a comp if they started entering the mens division. 

Ricky - Its the best thing ever, I wish it was only girls that surfed, guys should stick to bodyboarding or longboarding!

Kai - Durban looks pretty crowded with loads of burns and drop ins, you two are from either side of the bay, how do you find surfing the Piers these days?
Dan - There are so many tools in that ocean these days. The problem is the dicks in the council have made the south harbour pier just wide enough and long enough to block any swell that would keep those muppets out the water. So the only swell new pier gets is maxing 5ft playful stuff. Its pretty frustrating surfing with a bunch of clueless pricks. The problem is I’m friends with over half of them. 

Ricky - I enjoy surfing when it's really crowded,it just means that theres more people out there too see how good I surf. (Kai - Always looking on the bright side hey.)

Kai - Where can people follow you?
Dan - www.thetripod.tv , twitter.com/THETRIPOD_TV, twitter.com/danredman84. If that’s not enough there is also one of those facebook fan page things that you “like”. If you feel its a likable page. If you need more than that I live in Umdloti and don’t leave very often. Its a touch north of Durban. You can come find me here and follow me around if you want. I normally just wonder up and down the Umdloti strip thinking such things to myself. 

Ricky - Go check out www.thetripod.tv, PS: A few answers above might not actually be factual. Thanks

I highly recommend following these guys, even if it is just to watch them destroy each other in a booze fueled orgy of destruction!
Check out the videos -



No comments:

Post a Comment